Friday 3 September 2010

Food Shopping

I was pretty daunted by food shopping here at first. We started out in a hotel for the first ten days, where we ate almost all of our meals, so when we were finally let loose into our own house, I didn't know where to start - the shops and food all seemed so different at first.
I'm still not cooking much - our Didi is a fabulous cook and Harv and I both love Nepali food so I'm only cooking for the children and at weekends (I need to do a whole other post on how FANTASTIC it is to have help in the home).

Anyhow, I'm learning......

So - we walk Eve to school, then stop at little shops on the way home. You can get longlife milk here, but the fresh stuff comes in plastic bags, as in the photo and is much cheaper - less than 20p a pint. It's homogenised but advises you on the packet to boil before use. So I carefully boil it, then let it cool before storing it in a plastic jug in the fridge.
And the veggies are all very seasonal - I got tomatoes and I think, some wild sorrel, the other day. We soak all the veg and fruit (and even eggs when we buy them) in weakish iodine solution to kill any bugs, then rinse in filtered water, before putting them into the fridge (where we keep everything fresh during the warm monsoon months). This might seem a bit OTT but the veggies etc are often watered with 'grey' water - and the mains water is certainly not guaranteed 'clean', so this is just what you do.....

Very mundane daily details, but I thought I'd share - so different from the UK supermarket experience....




4 comments:

  1. I'm loving your nepali updates, the milk in bags is giving me very itchy feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know there's plenty of space in our house for a visit, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love to take you up on that offer, however with Tris' work we can only do long holidays in December/January. Bit too chilly for us me thinks!!
    How long you out there for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three year contract.
    I'm glad to hear that it will actually get cold - I'm already fed up of being constantly sticky and looking forward to woolly sweaters and furry boots right now!

    ReplyDelete