Saturday 11 September 2010

Bhaktapur

A beautiful medieval town. We did the Lonely Planet walking tour and enjoyed the quiet, and better air quality. Bhaktapur is 'pedestrianised' - in as far as the roads are basically too narrow for traffic, except motorbikes which seem to pretty much count as pedestrians here anyhow.
It's quite a funny feeling - we attracted so much attention, being white / blonde and having a doubledecker pushchair. We get stared at way more than we stare. Which is why I felt a bit more confident about asking people if I could take photos of them - I was especially fascinated by all the knitting ladies - there were SO many sitting and chatting while they knit beautiful hats, socks, fingerless gloves etc on their double pointed needles. I kind of kicking myself now that I didn't ask anyone where they got their yarn from - although it was pretty apparent that hardly anyone spoke any English there and Harv and I have about 5 Nepali phrases we can use, none of which include knitting.


















No comments:

Post a Comment