Monday 1 February 2010

Short back and sides


Ok, so this tree had me in tears today. I looked out of my back window to see a man hanging from a rope with a chainsaw - and immediately assumed the worst. I phoned my local council and was really shocked to find out that there's no protection order on it, and as we don't live in a conservation area someone would be perfectly within their rights to cut it down - they wouldn't have to check with the council or even let them know!!
You can hopefully get an idea of its size from the photo - it must be hundreds of years old. I can't believe it could be simply chopped down.
Fortunately the tree surgeon was just taking the lower branches off to even it up - as you can see it has a new, rather shorn, look to it. It's quite likey that someone who knows a lot more about trees than I do has paid for the work to be done to actually preserve the tree and prolong its life. Phew!
But - do be aware - if you have trees around you that you are fond of, they may not be protected. I'm going to look into somehow trying to get a protection order on this one, if possible. Such a lovely thing.

1 comment:

  1. I know we had a beautiful eycalyptus in a garden near me, it was huge and so pretty, I know they aren't a natuve tree but I was so sad when it was chopped down as I always used to say how beautiful it was. Glad yours was just getting a hair cut x

    ReplyDelete